FAQ's And How Wishes Are Granted
Gifts From the Heart For Downs grants wishes and needs to people with Down syndrome. We are located in Ararat, Virginia and have a very small group of people around the country who volunteer their time to grant wishes.
Who can apply for a Granted Wish?
Gifts From the Heart For Downs grants wishes to individuals over the age of 16 with Down syndrome. The board will review and consider needs of those under the age of 16 on a case by case basis.
Who is not eligible to apply for a Granted Wish?
1. Anyone who has received a wish from another wish granting organization is not eligible.
2. If your original wish was not granted, you may not submit a new request for a different wish.
3. We only accept one wish per individual/family.
What kind of wishes do you grant?
Wishes granted may include:
1. A special trip including a theme park, beach vacation, city destination or special experience.
2. To meet a special person, this may include a favorite television or movie star, recording artist, or sports figure.
3. A special event: including sporting events, concerts, awards shows or television/movie tapings.
4. A special gift or need: this may include a shopping spree, a bedroom redecorating, a playground set, a computer, television, tricycle or stroller. (Monetary requests are only paid to the creditor and not an individual.)
Are there any wish restrictions?
We are unable to grant wishes such as: animals, hunting, legal assistance, cash, reimbursement for completed dreams, funeral arrangements, international travel due to liability.
The board reserves the right to add or change items on the list.
Can I ask for more than one wish when I apply?
No. We only accept one wish per individual/family with each nomination.
If my wish is being considered or granted, will everything I requested be included?
While we always consider the entire request of a qualified wish, every aspect requested regarding the wish may or may not be fulfilled.
How are wishes granted?
There are four steps to granting a wish:
1. Qualification: Every nomination received is thoroughly read and screened to determine if it is a wish we will consider. First step is to fill out the pre-application form online. We will then notify you as to your next step if the wish will be considered, by the board.
2. Additional Information Request: If your wish is being considered, you will be sent an Additional Information Request, via e-mail that must be thoroughly filled out and completed within a three month period. After which time, your information will be discarded. This packet should be filled out in detailed and returned within or before the date specified.
(Note: You are not permitted to change your original wish if you receive a request for additional information.)
3. Research & Verification: Upon receiving all the required additional information requested, all documents and information are verified and in-depth research on the wish begins for further consideration.
(Note: If all required information is not submitted, your wish will not receive further consideration.)
4. Board of Governors Approval: After the first three steps are completed, our Board of Governors reviews all qualified requests that are being considered and determines which wishes will be granted.
Is the family included in the wish?
Every attempt is made to include the person's immediate family living in the home, care taker or guardian, depending on the wish.
How long can I expect to wait before knowing if my wish has been selected?
Every effort is made to respond to each request in a timely manner. However, some requests may take longer depending on the nature of the wish, research and verification needed. Significant advance notice may help. Please be patient. It is not necessary to call the Granted Wish offices on a weekly basis to check on the status of your wish. Every wish will receive an answer.
If my wish request is not being considered, will I be notified?
Yes. Every wish request, whether granted or not, will receive a response either through e-mail or postal mail. Please be sure your e-mail is set to receive correspondence from Gifts From the Heart For Downs.
Will my Granted Wish request get processed faster if I call the Granted Wish Office or mail it in?
No. All wishes, no matter how they are submitted, will be handled in the same manner.
I notice you ask for donations. Do I have to donate in order to request a Granted Wish?
No. Whether you make a donation or not does not effect your granted wish request.
Is the family's economic status a factor for the person or child to be eligible for a special wish?
No, there is absolutely no income qualification requirements that a wish family must meet in order for one to be eligible for a special wish.
Will the wish be granted to a child or person who cannot communicate?
Yes, if a child or person with Down Syndrome are unable to communicate, we focus on the family, relatives, and non-family members(social workers, teachers, etc...) who work with the family to verify the true wish of the child or person.
How long does it take to process A Wish?
Every wish is different and depends on the circumstances and the individuals needs. So wishes can be granted very quickly and others can take a lot more time, depending on the complexity and number of steps taken to be granted.
All aspects of each wish are subject to Gifts From the Hearts For Downs approval.
Please keep in mind- Gifts From the Heart For Downs reserves the rights to its sole and absolute discretion to cancel/change preparation or fulfillment of the wish at any given time after signing the Agreement if they feel the wish will compromise the health or safety of the wish receiver and or participants. Therefore, we ask that all wishes be realistic for the wish receiver and for Gifts From the Heart For Downs to fulfill.
What if the wish is to meet a celebrity?
Celebrity wishes may take a longer time than others, as they are dependent on their availability and willingness to participate. Therefore, we cannot guarantee meet and greets or phone calls.
I have further questions that are not answered here. Is there anyone I can call or write?
Yes, please visit our "contact us" page.
Copyright © 2022 Gifts From the Heart For Downs - All Rights Reserved.